Dog Art

Marine and Dog Bonded by War,
Divided by Red Tape
By Kari Huus,

Marine Cpl. Megan Leavey with Sgt. Rex, a dog trained to detect explosives, contraband and bombs. The photo was taken in Ramadi, Iraq, in 2006.

Marine Cpl. Megan Leavey gave a lot for her country, and so has her favorite comrade — Sgt. Rex.

The dog handler and the bomb-sniffing German shepherd Rex served together for more than three years and through two deployments until a roadside bomb blast in Ramadi, Iraq, in 2006 took them out of commission. Leavey, now recovered and discharged from the Marines, is battling to adopt her old canine-in-arms.

"Rex is my partner; I love him," said Leavey, 28, who lives with her father in Rockport, New York, and works as a dog handler. "We have been through so much together … I’ve spent day and night with this dog. It’s a very strong bond."

But the dog's discharge has proved more complicated than her own. Leavey first applied to adopt Sgt. Rex as she was completing her Marine Corps service in 2007. She did all the paperwork, she said, but the military determined the dog had recovered completely and was still fit for work, and has continued up to now.

Sgt. Rex has become something of a celebrity along the way, featured in a 2011 book by his first handler, Mike Dowling, called "Sgt. Rex: The Unbreakable Bond between a Marine and his Military Working Dog."

But Leavey kept tabs on her old friend, receiving regular updates and pictures from personnel working at the kennels at Camp Pendleton, Calif. About a month ago, she said, they let her know that Sgt. Rex, now 10, had developed facial palsy, which was affecting his equilibrium.

"Now he is ready to be retired," said Leavey, who quickly filed her paperwork to adopt the dog.

But that determination — like most things in the military — is subject to some procedures.

"An official request for retirement has been submitted," said Matthew Stines, press officer for the Air Force, which has jurisdiction over the Military Working Dog Program, when reached on Friday. He said that action on that request is expected to take about two weeks.

Then the dog will be evaluated for "adoptability" at Camp Pendleton. If he is approved, the final determination for his release would then be made after consideration at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. Stines said he did not know what would happen if the dog was determined to be unsuitable for adoption, nor how long these evaluations were expected to take, though he promised to look into it.

"(Rex) is just hanging out in his kennel," Leavey said. "I know the Marine Corp has other more important issues. But it’s important to me. And he deserves it."

Frustrated by the bureaucracy, Leavey has recruited a high-powered champion — Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., who wrote to Air Force Secretary Michael B. Donley to urge expeditious handling.

"Marine Corporal Leavey and Rex are true American heroes who saved countless American lives uncovering roadside bombs and booby traps in Iraq," Schumer said in a statement issued Friday. "I’m strongly urging the Air Force to do the right thing, cross the T’s and dot the I’s so that Rex gets the home he deserves, and Corporal Leavey can be reunited with her faithful companion."

Dog Reunited with Owner After 53 Days in Nevada Desert
By Erin Skarda -

This Feb. 18, 2012 photo provided by Shannon Sustacha shows Barbara Bagley and her Shetland Sheepdog Dooley after the two were reunited, east of Battle Mountain, Nev.

After a devastating car accident left Barbara Bagley’s husband and one of her dogs dead, she held to hope that her other Sheltland Sheepdog, Dooley, was still out there, somehow surviving in the unforgiving Nevada desert. Fifty-three days later, Dooley was recovered — scared and skinny, but safe — just five miles from the crash scene.

The December accident happened in a remote area of Nevada, sending both Bagley and her husband, Brad Vom Baur, to the hospital with severe injuries. Their other dog, Delaney, was found dead at the scene, but 4-year-old Dooley had vanished.

While Bagley, 48, suffered a concussion, two punctured lungs, broken ribs and a broken wrist, as soon as she was able, she organized a search for her lost pup using Facebook. But before volunteers could even get started, the search was called off, after remains of a dog were found along the interstate where the accident occurred. That same day, Bagley’s husband succumbed to his injuries and passed away.

“It was a horrible day for me,” Bagley told the Associated Press. “But something inside me told me Dooley was still alive out there.”

Her instinct was right. Over the next month, a dog matching Dooley’s description was spotted in the area numerous times. While Dooley slyly evaded rescuers on a few occassions, eventually he was cornered and taken to be reunited with his long-lost companion.

Dooley survived on eating roadkill and drinking from different water sources, but besides dropping 20 pounds and needing a bird bone removed from his throat, the Sheltie was no worse for the wear. Dooley and Bagley are now recovering together.

Tornado Survivors Find Pets Through Facebook
The Huffington Post - Dominique Mosbergen

In the wake of the devastating spate of storms that swept through the South and Midwest last week, many beloved pets are missing.

Once an animal is lost, the odds of finding it are relatively low. According to the American Humane Association, only about 17 percent of dogs and 2 percent of cats find their way back from shelters to their original owners.

After last year's Joplin, Mo. tornado, for instance, over 900 pets were rescued but fewer than 300 were reunited with their families.

Fortunately, as Pet-Zet reports, technology and social media can help improve those odds.

Over the last few days, several Facebook pages have cropped up in an effort to reunite pets with their families, sharing word of both lost and found animals.

The pages are inevitably bittersweet. But each reunion brings joy and hope to recovering communities.

Sherill Metz from Huntsville, Ala., has one such happy story.

Last Wednesday, as a storm approached, Metz went to her backyard to bring in her two dogs. Her 2-year-old Chorky, Lola, was nowhere to be found.

Lola, a tiny 3-pounder who had never run away before, had escaped through a small hole in the fence.

"The first thing I did was come in and go on Facebook. I wanted friends and people in my neighborhood to know," Metz, 43, told The Huffington Post.

Her story went viral overnight. Hundreds of people contacted her on Facebook, expressing their support and cross-posting her notice on those newly-established lost and found pages. Metz said she was "very, very shocked" by the response she received. "I couldn't even keep up with all the comments I was getting," she said.

But when six tornadoes hit Huntsville on Friday and Lola remained missing through the weekend, Metz began to lose hope.

Finally, on Monday night, Metz got a call from a family who had found Lola -- mud-soaked, bedraggled and miles from home -- the week before. They found Metz's contact details through Facebook.

Reunited with her beloved dog, Metz promptly posted a photo and note on the social media site. She received hundreds of congratulatory comments.

"People all over the country were praying for me and thinking about me," she said. "It was so nice, even when I started to lose hope, I was receiving constant encouragement."

Similarly, Twitter and Facebook played vital roles last year in connecting displaced families in the aftermath of natural disasters, such as the Japan tsunami and earthquakes.

"If you've lost an animal," said Metz, when asked what advice she would give other tornado survivors, "I would get it out there on social media and keep looking. Even though I gave up hope, I'm a true believer now."

Oshawa House Filled with Tarantulas,
Snakes, Marsupials Probed by Investigators
Kate Allen -

Debbie Grills, seen holding a rescued ferret, is co-owner of D &D Exotics in Oshawa. Rick Eglinton/Toronto Star

A screeching Nanday Conure parrot mimics the rising indignation in Debbie Grills’ voice as she speaks from her Oshawa pet store on Friday.

“They went through all of my kitchen cupboards. They threatened to lift up the lids on our incubators. They treated us like criminals,” says Grills, co-owner of D & D Exotics along with her husband Doug.

The “they” in question are the investigators who descended on the Grills’ home Thursday to execute a search warrant.

The “us” is Grills and her husband. But it could very well extend to their menagerie of beloved, exotic — and in Oshawa, prohibited — pets: 200 baby tarantulas being raised in individual Dixie cups, a dozen sugar gliders, and Tigger, a 5.5-metre-long reticulated python, among many others.

“They found everything,” says Grills.

Thursday’s raid was the latest skirmish in a battle with deceptively dull origins. For years, the couple has been fighting Oshawa’s Responsible Pet Owner by-law.

In Toronto, non-venomous snakes like boas and pythons are allowed as pets, provided they don’t grow longer than 3 metres. Sugar gliders, a type of marsupial, are also permitted. Ajax, Pickering, and Scugog, Oshawa’s neighbours in Durham Region, have similar rules — Scugog allows some types of tarantulas, for example.

Oshawa is stricter. All pythons and boas are prohibited, no matter the length. Sugar gliders and tarantulas are both banned.

D & D Exotics, one of the largest exotic pet stores in Durham region, was operating under a council-approved exemption to the by-law.

Besides their business selling regular animals, the couple also takes in rescued snakes, spiders, and other non-dog-or-cat creatures picked up by Durham authorities. Some of those animals are prohibited in Oshawa, like the 200 baby tarantulas Doug Grills nurtured from an egg sac found on a mature spider.

“What can I say,” says Grills. “We’re fascinated (by) every aspect of it.”

In January, the Grills’ received a letter from the city saying they had violated their exemption by “purchasing, selling, trading or releasing prohibited exotics.” Debbie Grills admits they have bought prohibited animals, but she says after fighting the by-law unsuccessfully, her “hands were tied.”

“(The city is) hurting my business, because people from Oshawa are not not buying these animals,” says Grills. “They’re going outside our community to Ajax, Pickering, Toronto. . . and bringing them back.”

Jerry Conlin, Oshawa's director of Municipal Law Enforcement and Licensing Services, disagrees.

“That position – the Grills’ – is not the same position of the city,” he says. “The by-law requires compliance with the standards that are approved by council. And presently, they are not complying with them.”

In January, the Grills told media they would spirit their hundreds of prohibited animals to “safe houses.” In fact, there was only ever one safe house: their own.

Oshawa by-law officers, investigators from the Ministry of Natural Resources, and Durham Regional Police officers — present in order to “keep the peace,” says Conlin — searched the Grills’ residence Thursday morning, taking photo and video evidence.

The couple could be facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and lost profits. But Debbie Grills is equally as concerned for her animals. The expert biologist who was brought in, she claims, exposed the nocturnal sugar gliders to daylight.

“Now they have diarrhea from the stress,” she says.

Conlin says investigators will be combing over the evidence captured yesterday and deciding how to proceed.

Spotted: Angelina Jolie's Kids Walking Their Dog
By: Noelle Talmon -

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are spending time at their home in New Orleans, and we spotted three of their children walking their bulldog Jacques yesterday.

Their oldest child, Maddox, 10, spent time talking on his cell phone while his sister Shiloh, 5, wore a trendy Ramones t-shirt and camouflage pants. Zahara, 7, looked dainty in red shorts and matching flipflops.

Meanwhile, we spotted their dad Brad zooming around town on his custom-made motorcycle.

Angelina and Brad are also parents to Pax, 8, and twins Knox and Vivienne, 3.

Abandoned Dog Gets a New Home;
Bereft Couple Gets a New Pet
By JaNae Francis - Standard-Examiner

OGDEN — Sometimes one happy ending can resolve two sad stories at once. That was the case Thursday when Matt and Joanne Townsend adopted a 2-year-old Shih Tzu they named Buster.

The dog was in the news earlier this week when it was rescued after being abandoned and locked inside a foreclosed house in North Ogden for nearly two weeks.

Adopting the dog seemed like the perfect answer for the Townsends. The Ogden couple were saddened recently by the death of a dog they’d had for 16 years.

“He’s so good,” Joanne said of Buster after her husband brought him home. “He’s so wonderful. He follows me everywhere.”

The dog owner said she didn’t expect Buster to feel so at home so quickly. He even made quick friends with the couple’s other dog, a 6-year-old English foxhound.

“They said it would take time for him to trust us,” she said. “But he just right away loosened up. I think he’s just happy to have a home.”

Animal control officials said they believe the problem of pet owners leaving their animals behind when they move is an infrequent one, especially for dogs.

Other pet and owner issues are far more pressing matters, they said.

Jim Barker, president of the Utah Animal Control Officers Association, said neighbors calling about abandoned animals are far more common than actual abandonment cases.

“When we get calls on that, if we leave a door hanger on the door giving them 24 hours to call us, they usually call us within 12 hours,” he said.

“The majority of the time, it’s overanxious neighbors. (The dog owners) say they are moving their stuff and they want the dog there to protect it.”

And Barker said police have to have evidence an animal is being abused or abandoned before they can enter a residence to check on the animal.

Barker, a Springville police officer, said there aren’t a lot of cases in which dogs are actually abandoned.

Another longtime member of the Animal Control Association of Utah said real knowledge of how often animals are left behind would have to come from a survey of landlords.

A lot of times, he said, the landlords just take animals to a shelter without notifying officials.

Weber County Sheriff’s Lt. Chad Ferrin, who oversees Weber County Animal Control Services, said he remembers only two cases in the last year in which animals were abandoned when someone moved.

“There are rare occasions,” he said, adding that sometimes people are served with warrants and taken to jail, then they can’t get back to their animals.

“Typically, people are fairly responsible with their pets,” Ferrin said.

Barker said cats fare far worse when it comes to owner abandonment.

“It probably happens more with cats than with dogs. They are easier to replace. There are people giving them out all the time at Walmarts and everything.”

And cats probably aren’t as noticeable when left behind.

“A lot of times with cats, the owners will just turn them loose and leave them running around the neighborhood,” Barker said.

And the people who leave cats behind often are hard to track down later. He said often they are people who slip in and out of their residences quietly.

Shawn Janke, president of the Northern Wasatch Association of Realtors, said he doesn’t know of any instance when an agent has dealt with people abandoning an animal.

“It’s not really an issue,” he said. “Normally, they let the agents know. … We help them get rid of their animals.”

On occasion, Janke said, he will see an email with a picture of a dog. “It will say, ‘My seller is looking for a home for his dog.’ ”

NM Hiker Missing for Almost a Month
Huddled with Cat in Sleeping Bag
When Temperatures Dipped

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Temperatures dropped below freezing almost every night, but somehow Margaret Page and her cat survived 3 1/2 weeks in an isolated and rugged region of a southwestern New Mexico national forest.

Tucked away in a blue sleeping bag for warmth and set up near a creek for drinking water, Page and her cat named Miya lived on just a handful of supplies, rescue workers said Friday. The nearest town — tiny Dusty, N.M. — was 10 miles away.

Family members reported her missing Feb 14. But for various reasons, authorities didn’t start searching for her until this week. The 41-year-old Page, who has a history of mental illness, was found Wednesday emaciated and malnourished but well-hydrated.

“Her cat was in better shape than she was,” New Mexico State Police Search and Rescue incident commander Marc Levesque said. “Her cat was also hunting. (Page) ran out of food a while back.”

Page apparently purposefully hiked off a trail between Feb. 10 and Feb. 12. A Forest Service law enforcement agent spotted her silver Chevy passenger car on Feb. 12, but didn’t think much of it because hikers leave vehicles near trails all the time, said Lt. Robert McDonald, a spokesman for the state police.

Another Forest Service agent noticed the car on Feb. 25 but didn’t contact state police until 10 days later. Members of the Grant County Search and Rescue and other crews began the search for Page on Tuesday after her family notified state police that Page’s car had been found at a campground.

She was found the following day about a mile up the Railroad Canyon Trail in an area known as the Black Range.

The area had seen average highs reach around 60 degrees with evening lows in the 20s. It didn’t see much rain or snow, but there were some high winds.

Authorities don’t believe Page intended to stay in the forest for as long as she did when she first set up camp, and they aren’t sure what she ate after she ran out of food.

“She is an experienced backpacker,” search crew leader Dave Kuthe said. “She had adequate shoes...she just took a bag of pretzels with her.”

Also, Page’s car was towed as crews began their search mission — something Robert Matulich, a field certified member of the Dona Ana County Search and Rescue team, said was unusual. Crews sometime use vehicles to give the search dogs a scent to use, he said.

“It looks to me like somebody dropped the ball on this one,” Matulich told the Silver City Sun-News ( “Why’d they tow the truck? Who towed the truck?”

Levesque said by the time Page arrived at Gila Regional Medical Center she was alert and articulate, even though she had lost about 20 to 25 pounds during the ordeal.

She checked herself out late Wednesday and spent the night in a Silver City hotel. And she’s been reunited with her cat.

Dog Art Fetches High Prices
Written by Sue Manning -

William Secord, president of William Secord Gallery, unpacks paintings in his New York gallery, the only one in the nation dedicated exclusively to dog art. "We have had an increase in visitors over past years, but also a substantial increase in sales compared to this time last year," said Secord, widely considered the world's foremost authority on 19th century dog paintings. / Richard Drew, The Associated Press

Dogs seem to be as popular on a canvas these days as they are on a leash, with paintings of dogs drawing big bucks and big crowds.

At the annual “dogs only” art auction held after the Westminster Dog Show, two price records were broken this year, said Alan Fausel, vice president and director of fine art at Bonhams, the auction house that runs the event.
“Dejeuner,” a painting that shows dogs and cats eating from a large dish, set a record for the artist, William Henry Hamilton Trood (1860-1899), when it sold for $194,500, Fausel said. That record was broken an hour later when Trood's “Hounds in a Kennel,” showing a half-dozen dogs staring at a bird outside their cage, sold for $212,500.

Bonhams' Dogs in Show & Field auction is the only one in the country devoted solely to dogs. It was the best auction in years, Fausel said, adding: “The dog art market is certainly turning a corner.”

The William Secord Gallery in Manhattan is the only gallery in the nation dedicated exclusively to dog art. “We have had an increase in visitors over past years, but also a substantial increase in sales compared to this time last year,” said Secord, widely considered the world's foremost authority on 19th century dog paintings. Through March 24, the gallery is exhibiting and selling 150 dog pieces that Geraldine Rockefeller Dodge bequeathed to St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center in Madison, N.J.

Secord has written six dog art books and has collected over 2,500 works dating to 1805. He is also the founding director of the only art museum in the country dedicated to dogs, the American Kennel Club's Museum of the Dog. Secord opened his gallery because he didn't want to move when the museum relocated from New York to St. Louis.

The museum has over 700 paintings, drawings, fine porcelains and bronzes on display, and gets about 12,000 visitors a year, a number that's been increasing steadily each year, said Barbara McNab, the museum's executive director.

Parents Can Cure Their Children's
Fear of Dogs If They Follow Experts' Advice
By Diane VanDyke - Reading Eagle

For some children, man's best friend becomes their biggest fear. Maybe it was a bad experience with an overly excited dog, the incessant barking and growling of a protective pet or simply the size of the larger breeds, but something about these typically beloved animals instilled an intimidating fear.

If children have an extreme fear of dogs, or cynophobia, they may require some therapy or counseling, and families should seek help from their doctors in those cases.

Otherwise, children can overcome their fear of dogs in most cases, with some guidance, education and training.

The first step, according to Dr. Shawn Achtel, a veterinarian at Exeter Veterinary Hospital, Exeter Township, is for parents to recognize that their child is afraid of dogs.

Some children's fear stems from the unknown and unexpected behaviors or actions by some dogs. Sometimes fear develops because children are not taught about or exposed to dogs.

"Children should be slowly introduced to dogs," said Achtel, in an email response. "Start with stories, pictures or television/movies with dogs, progressing to watching dogs at a park from a distance, eventually allowing the children to build up confidence to meet a dog up close."

When a child develops the confidence to meet a dog, parents should try to introduce them to a mature, calm dog rather than an excitable puppy with unpredictable behavior. Although puppies may be smaller and cute, their energy might perpetuate fear, especially if they jump, lick or chew, according to Achtel.

Prior to that first child-dog meeting, parents should teach their children that dogs will sniff and lick. They should explain that licking is the way dogs give kisses.

When teaching children how to approach a dog, parents should avoid phrases like "pet the dog under his chin or he will bite," since they imply that the dog could harm the child and evoke fear.

Usually such messages or an unpleasant incident with dogs is what triggers fear, said Steven Smith, trainer at Awesome Dawgs Dog Training LLC, Rockland Township. Awesome Dawgs teaches families how to build good relationships with dogs.

Smith recommends the following tips when working with dogs:

--Parental supervision is essential to help children understand what appropriate interaction with the dog looks like.

--Use a toy when children play with dogs so their attention can be on the toy and not the child's hands, feet and clothing.

--Don't overstimulate the dog. Take frequent breaks from play. This will give the dog a chance to relax or calm down, then return to play.

--Avoid close hugging and smoothing of the dog's head and face. This often causes a dog to feel threatened and could trigger a bad reaction.

--Avoid allowing infants to crawl around the dog unsupervised. They look, smell and sound too much like play toys.

--Realize not every other dog is like your pet dog. Always ask the owner if you can pet the dog. Always pet under the chin or on their chest and not over their head.

When developing relationships with dogs, children should be taught how to respect and treat them, Smith said. They should not run up to the dog or attempt to hug or squeeze it. When playing with dogs, children should know not to pull their tails, pick them up, hit or even yell or scream around them.

They also should not try to play with or pet dogs when they are eating, going to the bathroom or even chewing on a favorite bone or toy.

"It is important to remember there are always two ends of the leash and both parts need help understanding the other end," Smith said. "The best methods of helping children get over their fear of dogs will always include 1) parental supervision, 2) education, 3) planning and 4) training."

Following this advice, parents can help their children overcome their fear of dogs and develop long-lasting friendships, like the friendship Emma Yoder of Kutztown has with her dog.

Twelve-year-old Emma has been training her 3-year old Labrador retriever Tegan at Awesome Dawgs with the goal of teaching Tegan to be a therapy dog.

"Tegan is like a sister to me," said Emma, who is the daughter of two veterinarians, Drs. Sam and Annemarie Yoder, owners of Silver Maple Veterinarian Clinic Inc., Richmond Township. "I love her so much, and we trust each other. I am training her to be a therapy dog so children and older folks can have the same relationship I have with dogs."

Through training, Emma can show other people how to be friends with Tegan and not be scared of her. She also has learned how to socialize Tegan, so she is comfortable around people and new situations.

"I have never been afraid of dogs," Emma said. "I grew up with them, and they were always my friends."

Contact Diane VanDyke:

My Pet is Bigger Than Your Pet
By Diana Fisher

The Farmer bought me two beautiful Belgian horses for Valentine's Day, 2009. I have always wanted a horse of my own.

I imagined myself riding Ashley through the bush around our property, the Farmer by my side on Misty. So far, that dream has not come true. We lost Ashley, tragically, in 2010. Our busy lifestyle is not exactly conducive to horse training so our very large, very untrained horse Misty thinks she's a pet.

When Ashley, the older lead horse died, Misty was lost. She looked around and all she found was...Donkey. He is now her best friend, and she will follow him just about anywhere: through the gate that Donkey jimmied open, onto the front lawn to eat my daisies, down the road to visit the neighbours. He gets her into plenty of trouble and he is not a very good influence. Donkey taught Misty to chase my lambs and make them bleat in terror. It's one of his favourite games. I had to run down the field, a golf club in my hand, and rescue my lamb from under her huge dinner-plate hooves before she squashed it.

I'm sure she didn't mean any harm. She just heard a small animal making a very strange noise and it seemed a threat to her. From then on I kept the lambs separated from the horse until they were old enough to get away from her big feet.

Misty taps on the back window of the stable with her nose when she wants in. If no one responds, she pushes on the door. If that doesn't work, she goes back to the window and breaks a pane of glass for emphasis. Finally Donkey comes over and shows her how to lift the latch. He has also taught her to lift the freezer door and help herself to sweet feed and corn. But just because Donkey can squeeze through the gap in the barn door doesn't mean Misty can. She's twice his width.

When I enter the barnyard, Misty comes and stands still in front of me. She puts her head down and presses her nose to my chest. This is how she initiates a hug. When I put her in her stall with a load of hay and a bucket of water, she nods her massive head up and down until I fill her bowl with corn. Then she snorts a thank you at me. I do understand some of her language. We communicate a little.

Monty Roberts, the horse whisperer, says that you should not attempt to 'break' an untrained or 'green' horse as was common practice in the past. Even Monty's father believed you had to break a horse's will and tame his spirit in order to control him. Monty found his own way of communicating with the wild mustangs of Nevada, and discovered that if you invite the horse to 'join up' with you, training is a natural process. This man can actually approach a wild horse and go through a series of very patient and methodical steps to get it to trust, approach and follow him. I tried applying his steps in the barnyard with Misty.

Step one: introduce yourself by rubbing (not patting, I learned that lesson with the ram) the horse's head. Now move away and toward the hind end of the horse, keeping clear of the 'kick zone'.

Next, flick a long line (like a whip but not to be used as a whip) at the hind quarters. The horse will start moving around the pen.

When the horse retreats, you advance. Keep the pressure on. After a few rounds of the pen, try to turn the horse in the other direction by flicking the line again. Try to get the animal to canter five or six rounds one way, then in the other direction. Watch the horse.

If he tips his head down toward you, submissively, he is saying "I would like to take a break now." Turn slightly away from the horse and invite his approach.

If he does, you have won his trust. If he stands still but doesn't move, approach him slowly but indirectly, in circular, round-about movements.

I went through these steps with Misty. I didn't have her running around a pen but I walked her back and forth until she stopped and started chewing something on the ground, watching me with one eye and flicking her ear. I turned my back on her and she slowly approached, resting her chin on my shoulder. Maybe she is trainable after all.

Why Keep Gold Fish In Bowls? Misplaced Facts

You must have seen many gold fish kept in bowls in the houses of your friends and acquaintances. Please tell them that they are killing this beautiful animal and you at least do not repeat the same mistake when you are planning keep fish as pets. All fish need movement and even gold fish which is generally considered 'lazy', too needs to move around. But in a bowl do they really have the space to even turn around?

Gold fish kept in bowls or other wise are the most misunderstood fish ever. People use them more as decoration than real fish who are living beings. Here are some of the things that you probably did not know about this beautiful animal.

Gold Fish In Bowls: Misplaced Facts

1. Why In Bowls? Is there any particular reason why gold fish are kept in bowls while even smaller fish like mollies get an big aquarium just to themselves. It is just the mind set that gold fish look good in bowls. If you want to decorate your house then buy decorative show pieces. We have no right to cramp up a living breathing fish just for our entertainment.

2. Who Came First The Chicken Or The Egg? This is the eternal dilemma always haunting man kind. In fact it extends to fish kind too now. Gold fish have been termed as lazy and in active fish with no movement. Is it inactive because you have put in a bowl that does not allow it to move or have you kept it in a cramped up bowl because it doesn't move anyway? Tough one to answer.

3. They Die Too Soon: So why invest is it? If you have a problem with the longevity of the fish then why buy it all? Actually even this accusation does not stand against gold fish because they can live for very long time. It can in fact out live you if you die young! The oldest known gold fish named Trish, in the world lived for 43 fulfilling years. Your gold fish is probably dying young because it is stagnated. Fish need movement to live. If they are stagnant at one place they die.

4. Gold Fish Eat Too Much: Yes, they are greedy big mouths that is true but children are always greedy. Do you let your children overeat? The deal is that gold fish have no stomach at all. There is only temporary storage for their food in the digestive tracts. So your gold fish needs food in small amounts at regular intervals. If you overfeed it at once it will die. After all it is a big animal and needs to eat to support it's bulk, so do not starve it.

These pet care tips should be able explain why gold fish kept in bowls are leading an unhealthy life so give it some space.

No comments: